One September Day

Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Bead in my Nose!

I am really "itching" to know if you have ever had something like this happen?

A few years ago, when one of my daughters was about 3... this hilariously scary story happened in my living room.

Hilariously scary?  For sure... I am laughing about this now...but I definitely was not then!

Normal day- Normal schedule...
I see my 3 year old daughter stroll through the living room....and something did not look quite right..
as a matter of fact..
She looked NOT right AT ALL!

I called  her over.. and her siblings were quick to follow.. and we were all looking at her like she had something in her nose!!!

SHE DID have something in her nose.. getting her to tell me what it was is now the BIG challenge.

Again...WHAT did you put in your now Leah?
What did you put in your nose Leah?
~A Lego?
~A bean?
~A bug?
~Food?

Finally---Sheepishly--- "I put a bead in my nose."
Ayayayayayayyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy~

Soo, now what to do?
So this is where the drama unfolded....
I sit her on the couch.. we gather together as a group... and gather together some "tools."

Uh-huh...
A flashlight..
A few tissues for the tears to come..
A bobby pin..
.A pillow for her head..

AND.. yes... the last thing we had to put in our pile of TOOLS, was a VACUUM.

So, here we are.. she is reclined.. ( held down) on the couch with a flashlight in her nose..
AND every time she cried and sniffed..
that silly bead went farther and farther away from our reach.

I finally am exhausted from holding her down..
and reach for the phone..
to call... NOT 911..
But some close friends that live nearby.

Once my neighbor is there,.. he and his wife try and calm her down..
We get out the vacuum!
I still cannot believe that we tried this.. we held the one side of her nose shut, and put the vacuum onto the other side.
Did this great plan work?

NOOOO.. it just scared her to death.. poor baby!
I am laughing now to even type this.. it is such a funny image.

So, last resort,,, we tried the bobby pin.
After a little more effort..
SUCCESS!
The bead is out.
No ER visit... NO 911.. and no vacuum damage.

This is just one more story to add to our "what is in your nose" stories.
We have had beans... Q-tips...beads...toothpicks...and oh my!  I don't  even want to go on.

So... if you ever have a nose emergency... give me a jingle!


9 Comments:

  • At September 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM , Blogger Linda said...

    Laughing now with you about it...but I am sure it was a frantic time back then! But the vacuum part paints a crazy picture! (:>)

    No..I can't remember any stories...except when I had sinus surgery and they packed my sinuses with medicated gauze through my nose when I had staph in there...and when my husband and daughters looked at me their eyes got so big....and they said I looked like a boxer who had just got beaten up.

    When it came time for the nurses to pull all of that gauze out of both sides of my nose one of them told me to squeeze her hand really tightly...and OH MY... it hurt so bad... and it just went on forever!!! It felt like there were miles of gauze packed in there.

    Well now that was an unpleasant memory for me...Thanks so much September! (just kidding) (:>)

     
  • At September 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM , Blogger Aspiemom said...

    My son's best friend is the oldest of 12 boys in his family. His 5 yr old brother does this stuff all of the time. He stuck 7 peanut m&m's up his nose, thinking he could just get them back out with a toothpick. NOT! They had to take him to the ER.

    He also thot "If you put something in your nose, it comes out your butt, so if you put something in your butt, does it come out your nose?" So he proceeded to put a carrot up is butt.

    It didn't come out his mouth! Another ER trip!

    I would have panicked if I were you - thanks for the laugh!

     
  • At September 10, 2010 at 1:50 AM , Blogger Caroline said...

    Wow that is funny now but I know I would have been scared to death. It is funny what we think of in times of trouble. I'm glad everything worked out.
    Thanx for sharing this.

    Caroline

     
  • At September 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM , Blogger trennia said...

    My oldest put paper in hers,the next one put a bead,the next one put a hot & spicy pork rind,and my third daughter sholved a button up my forth daughters nose.The button was the hardest,the dr. couldn't get it out and told us to go to the ER.
    We ended up going home instead I researched and came to our last resort before we went to the ER I held the one side of her nose,placed my mouth over hers and blew!
    It popped out I was so happy!

     
  • At September 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My friend ended up at the ER with a similar situation and they used Super Glue on the end of a Q-Tip. Just in case it happens again, there ya go!
    My little guy, at the age of 3, told me he stuffed a raisin up his nose. I could not see it since he stuffed it way up in. So when I didn't really believe him he finally took matters into his own hands. He plugged the other side of his nose, took a deep breath and BLEW it right out! What did he need me for???
    Tracey

     
  • At September 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Holly said...

    Oh my! Yeah, def not funny at the time but now something you can look back on and laugh about!

     
  • At September 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM , Anonymous Sandy Hall said...

    Same kind of story at the Hall house except it was a pea in the ear. Oh brother! My husband was out of town, the child in this predicament was only about 2. Had to call an older woman from the church (praise God for those older godly women who came to the rescue with their wisdom and experience!). Got the pea out without a trip to the hospital. Thanks for sharing your story. Brought back a memory that's funny now. As a matter of fact....I was just on the phone with that "little" boy who is now 25 and married!!!! They do survive those childish "joys."

     
  • At September 14, 2010 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Susan said...

    O.k. you are good. My now 8 year old did the same thing when she was 3. Only I made the mistake of telling her to blow nad instead she sucked in and then we couldn't reach the bead at all. So of course I had to take her in and they removed it in about 30 seconds. Next time I will try the bobby pin.

     
  • At September 25, 2010 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh my! Would you believe that I can't even think of an object stuck in the nose story? That's pretty amazing huh? I must have super smart kids. ha! No - not really. I guess my kids just do different 'stupid' things.

    I'm surprised the vacuum didn't work. Must have been to big. Perhaps you should have taped a straw to the end and put the straw in the nose. Maybe next time. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home