One September Day

Monday, July 12, 2010

There is a chicken in my bed!!!

3:30 a.m....I hear a little whimper next to my ear, and open my eyes to find my Shirley Temple standing there.. fearful.  Shaking and whimpering.

I ask her what is wrong.. and she says, ( crying and pointing).."There is a chicken in my bed!"

I tell her that there is NOT a chicken in her bed, and it is OK to lay back down...( her room is attached to ours, and so I can send her right back to bed.)

Nope.  She is 100% sure there is a chicken in her bed.
Still whimpering, and shaking, I am now trying to get her to truly wake up.
The baby shares a room with Miss Curly-Q, and I know it is only minutes now before she awake also...
maybe afraid herself of the chicken in the bed next to hers.

Being a parent is not convenient, and definitely does not have set hours.
It is a position of commitment and unconditional love.
I love my sleep.  I am one who truly needs her sleep, and this chicken was royally "messing" up my night!

The most frightening this about this middle of the night rendezvous, was that I was becoming convinced that there REALLY WAS a CHICKEN in her bed!
What is happening to me?
I told her once more that there was not a chicken there, and she pointed her little hand in the direction of her bed, and crying, proclaimed.." YES there is!!  It is right there!"

Did I look?
I am not going to tell you.. you will have to guess!!

( In case you don't remember,, we DO have chickens in a pen here on our property!)

10 minutes later,.. she is sleeping soundly in the recliner in our room, and I am almost asleep, when I think that I hear a "SQUAWK!!"

Go to sleep September!  It is only a dream... isn't it?


Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At July 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    WHAT? Really? Was there REALLY a chicken in her bed? NO WAY! Tell on... I'm dying here!

     
  • At July 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Kami said...

    Okay, I'm with Lynnette .. was there a chicken there? I mean, shortly after the motorcycle in the hair incident, this would be quite the funny story to follow! :)

    Parenthood truly does require more than we are able to give. That's why I'm thankful that God fills the gap between our abilities and our children's needs.

    Missing you!

     
  • At July 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    lol a chicken in the bed? I totally would have checked too! so, was there one??? we are all dying to know!

     
  • At July 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Aspiemom said...

    My son used to have night terrors for years.

    When he was young he would spend all day finding and playing with bugs, but at night he would be screaming and crying about the bugs all over his bed. He'd be standing on the bed, backed up to the wall, eyes open and seeing multitudes of bugs all over his bed. I never saw them, tho!


    That's an adorable picture!

     
  • At July 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

    Oh my goodness...I have to know...was there a chicken in her bed? Either way, this post is too funny....you never know what might happen at your house, girl! =)

     
  • At September 9, 2010 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Linda said...

    I once heard a true story from a fellow grandma who said that her grandchild that lives in Texas kept telling their parents that a big spider was in their bed...but they thought the child was dreaming...and they ignored it and told them to go back to bed!

    Then one day when they were cleaning and making the bed...they found a huge a scorpion!

    Thank goodness the child was ok.

    I love your blog posts. And I love to read about all of your precious children...and their adventures.

    Linda

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home