One September Day

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apple- icious!!!

Living in the Northeast brings many sweet rewards...

Apples, Peaches, Pumpkins, Grapes, and more!

Our Annual Apple Picking Day was a HOOT!  We picked 146#'s of apples,,, some of our favorites are..

Gala... Jonamac...Mac's and Honey Crisp.
.
What do we do with all of these apples?

We chop them, cook them, run them through a mill, and make applesauce.
We Steam them, juice them, and make apple pie filling!
We dehydrate them into apple slices.
We make apple butter...
But most of all..
We enjoy our FAMILY TIME together.

Do you have a favorite family tradition?




The Apple Princess!




A Little Apple Love!




The BIG Chair.. makes my grown boys look so small!


A Little Mischievous they are!!


And to top it all off... I will share my Apple Butter recipe with you
You must try this treat...use it on your warm, buttered toast in the morning,,
In a sandwich..
Or even.. on a spoon!

TRY and ENJOY!
Apple Butter - Fall 2010
------
9 Cups Applesauce
3 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Vinegar
6 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves. 
Mix and bake at 300 deg. until thick
Maybe 3-4 hrs.
STIR every half half hour.
Freeze or seal into pint jars.
( Takes about 1/2 bushel of apples to make three batches of apples butter)

4 Comments:

  • At September 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What a fun time! I will for sure try that apple butter recipe, thanks for sharing!!

     
  • At September 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    what a cute post! I want to pick apples! reminds me of that scene in anne of green gables where they are picking apples... :)

     
  • At September 8, 2010 at 11:44 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

    What a great time. I love apples. My kids do too. I was just thinking of apple butter the other day. I made some real apple butter 20 yrs ago at a church camp I worked at. It was alot of fun. We cooked it outside over a fire and everything. I'm gonna try yours for sure.
    Thanx for sharing this. Beautiful pics too. Family time is the BEST !!!

    Caroline

     
  • At September 9, 2010 at 6:21 AM , Blogger Linda said...

    Yum...those apples sure look good! Isn't God so wonderful to give us such good things to satisfy our hunger?!!!!

    I have never gone "apple pickin'"....but your pictures make it look fun!

    You are blessed with a precious family.

    Oh...and the big chair is hilarious!

    God bless you abundantly!
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home