One September Day

Friday, May 29, 2009

Stone Soup- Will you help me?

Why did I title this post Stone Soup? Probably because of the subject that is close to my heart lately.

FRUGALITY!!

There are so many areas in my life that I have yet to even begin working on. My whole initiative for change is to please the Lord with my actions and attitudes.

Lately, I have been truly convicted of another area that I have only given effort half-heartedly to in the last few years. Shamefully, I confess this to the Lord, and ask for wisdom in changing.

Frugality.


Stone Soup was the first post title that came to my mind when writing - LOL.. I have no intentions of serving this.. although it would be great fun, don't you think?


I am attempting to not only change the way that we live -( in dollar sense, but in wastefulness, time, and resources,) but also the way that we think. Beginning to think in the frugal sense is a BIG challenge.

I have met so many people that have "attained" this character quality, and I believe that it is so pleasing to the Lord.

Here are some situations that I have come across this week, that probably most people have lived every day, but it has taken me years of raising a large family to make the leap into savings.

I am not sure if it is because it is was easier the other way, or because I didn't want to make such big changes. Basically - bottom line - I was being selfish with our means, and lazy to make simpler changes.

So, for example:

Just two weeks ago, I declared to our household that I was NOT buying paper towels ANY more! ( I hope you are not laughing at me.)......

I am the Paper Towel Queen! I loved them, STILL do, and would use them for everything!

NOT any more though.

I have chosen the cloth, towels, shammy route.

This may not seem like a big deal to you - but think about this paper towel thing like your worst addiction. This was mine.

Think about 9 children, spills, country living -mud, sand, and all of the dirty hands and faces I see a day.

So, Paper Towels were the # 1 change here.


Here's the second! SPONGES!! ( NOW, I KNOW you are laughing!)... I love sponges. Probably because I love to clean.

Please understand that this loving to clean thing is really a GIFT, otherwise my life as a mom of many small children would be nightmarish!

So, the sponges are GONE! And cloths, brillo's, and etc. are here.

#3 Change - ENERGY! I have become the Light and Water Police! Oh, how fun this is! My family is trying,, we all are. Some more than others. Wastefulness had become a bad and unnoticed habit.

----

I am not going to make a long list on this post of all of the changes I am making, because they are things that you probably do every day, and I wouldn't want to bore you. ( I know, I know,,, that was a run-on sentence!)

But, here is my question - Will you tell me your frugal ideas? I would love to hear them.
Truly.

I will post again on this great adventure. It is hard, fun, difficult, challenging, and purposed to bring about a more pleasing life to my Lord.

The Whole family is getting involved - it is contagious!

So, SEND IN YOUR IDEAS - Help!! (please )

I have posted a pic of my daughter, Leah, as she sets up her daily Road Side Stand. It is precious to see her happy face when she makes a sale!

7 Comments:

  • At May 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Aspiemom said...

    This is something I've always done: Non-fat Dry Milk. I can't believe how many people use "regular milk" for recipes that call for 3/4c. or more of milk! Especially at the price of milk! I've always bought a large box of n-f dry milk and used that for all recipes. Saves a bunch!

     
  • At May 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Linda said...

    September,...I just can't give up paper towels. I'm using recycled ones though. ((smile))...Are we still friends? Ha!

    Hey, You inspired me to re-arrange my livingroom the other day after reading your post. Thanks,..it looks more open and inviting. Also doing some re-arranging in my heart after reading your challenging post.

    I told Lynnette your story from when you were a kid,... and you had changed your bedroom around and forgot,...so as you attempted to dive onto your bed in a dark room, and you ended up konking your head on a dresser! OUCH! Kids do funny things don't they?

    I am sorry that you have had a bad 4 day migraine,..hope it is gone by now. I always feel re-born after mine are over! (I can't take meds for them because of my heart, so I just sleep in a dark room until they are gone. I vomit sometimes with them and it is not fun to be in a constant state of nausea). Anyway, I can understand.

    Before menopause I used to have Mentral Migraines every month for several days. But since the change I don't have them as often. But my allergies can trigger them too. I have to stay indoors on high pollen count days in the air-conditioning.

    These are thorns in the flesh,...but God's grace is sufficient! Amen?

    Love you, Linda

     
  • At May 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Holly said...

    We don't use paper towels anymore. We use table towels. I bought them off a mama who made them and they can wrap around and they snap together just like a paper towel. They're awesome. I'd give family cloth a try but I don't think my husband will go that far.

     
  • At May 31, 2009 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Ange said...

    Hi September,

    First of all, I do not think you can please God anymore. He is already ecstatic over you and your family!!! As far as frugality I look at it is the scope of time and money. If I spend alot of time washing dishes, cloth diapers, and the like just to save a little money, then I am losing time with my family. We try to be frugal but with a reasonable balance. For instance, we use paper plates at most meals.....SHAME ON ME! But I would rather throw away the plates and not have so many dishes to do so I can spend time with the family in the evenings. And we use a lot of paper towels too!!!! But to save money we do clip coupons and shop food sales since it seems like so much of our food goes to growing teenagers. We also do birthdays very frugally and simply...but we try to make them special. You are doing a great job!!!!

    Hope you are feeling better!

    Ange

     
  • At May 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Wow - you have an amazing story to tell...I foundyou somehow through blog hopping! glad to have wandered over andreadyour story...how wonderful you and your family are! I love your tips although I do LOVE paper towels too too much to give up just yet! I hope you will be recovering from your migraine here soon...take care!

     
  • At June 5, 2009 at 6:24 AM , Blogger A mom of many said...

    I made the no buying paper plate and towel leap last year and it pretty was hard but we made it through and now I do not miss them but it took a long while. I am the worst at not turning off lights. For some odd reason feel better with almost all the lights on in the house even during the day. I might try turning off the lights more now that it is almost summer. Maybe, If I can get over no paper towels just maybe I can tackle the lights.

     
  • At October 22, 2009 at 8:42 AM , Blogger busymomof10 said...

    Frugality is a necessary challenge for many large families, but it stretches our time and human resources even more! As another commenter mentioned, there is a trade-off between time and money. We each have to find our own balance. truly, we all need to look for ways to be more frugal and resourceful, but we don't want to make so much extra work for ourselves that we are always working, always tired and grumpy, never have time for our children, etc. As with everything in this life, there is a delicate balance that must be worked out according to the inidividuality of each family.

    I am not ready to give up paper towels, but I'm trying to encourage my family to use less.

    I'm trying to learn to be more coupon-savy. With coupons and a good sale, you could buy your paper towels rather inexpensively and then look for ways to stretch them or recylce them. :) There is also consideration of the water and electricy/gas used to wash and dry rags/towels. I'm not savy enough to figure out how much that costs, and I know it varies a lot depending on where you live and what utilities cost there.

    Have you ever seen The Tightwad Gazette??

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home