One September Day

Friday, May 8, 2009

An Impact Forever

Knowing that I will not have time to blog this weekend,, I have decided to post today about someone special in my life.
Well, probably MORE than special. A person who has made a profound impact on my life, and whom I cherish with my heart.

Happy Mother's Day Mom!
I was thinking this week about the years of training that go into preparing our children to be ready to leave the home.
I was married at the young age of 18, and my mom invested her LIFE in those years prior to this time.

I think that it took years of parenting and marriage to truly appreciate the sacrifices my mom made for me, and to realize all of the things that she taught me that I don't even think about on a day to day basis.

For example - This week, I was sitting at the sewing machine, teaching my 9 yod, Lydia how to sew. As I went through the processes of showing her how to thread the machine, spin a bobbin, and gently push the pedal, I sat and remembered my own mom patiently sitting there teaching me all of those tedious steps.
I remember so many silly times with my mom. She made the best of every situation for us growing up. If we were going thru a hard time,, she taught us to see the sunshine in it.

She purposely never spoiled us,, always telling us that if we had every thing we wanted when we were children, there would never be any thing to look forward to.

She taught us the value of hard work, thoroughness, thoughtfulness, hospitality, honesty, and led us to the Lord.

There were many times my mom and I didn't agree, ( and perhaps may still not), but the love we have for each other has never waivered.
She is the only one who knows WHY I cry, when I do, and just lets me shed needed tears.
She knows when I am in a silly mood, and can laugh with me at such silliness - for she's the one who taught me how to have fun.
She knows I am not a "huggy" person - ( lol).. but knows I will take her hugs any day!
And she loves MY children so very much - we makes me love her even more!


Here are a few special memories that I like to keep in the forefront of my memory on Mother's Day-

***She would buy an assortment of candy bars on a special occasion, and hide them in a brown paper bag. My brothers & I were not allowed to peek into the bag, but could put our hand in and feel around for the candy bar we thought we would like most. I was always sooo excited when she did this. I almost always ended up with a Kit-Kat candy bar or Starburst!

***After the last day of school, she would take a look at our report cards, and if we had worked hard, she would take us to get an Ice Cream Sundae - and depending on our grades, we could choose off of the Ice Cream Menu - our choice!
The Banana Split was always my favorite.

***I remember my mom and I sitting in the hospital every day for a few years with my little brother while he had to see a special Dr. She would pack a bag of things for me to do, and I tried my best to make the time pass quickly. She always would make the best of those times, even when the wait was long, and she herself was tired.

***My mom and my grandma gave me my first perm. TOOO funny! I kept asking and asking for one, and so she finally relented and let me have my way. I remember her laughing and telling me the smell was ALL part of it,, and this was what I wanted... needless to say- we didn't do that very often.

***My mom taught me kindness. To never make fun of another human being. I even find now, that when I hear, see or know of someone doing this, the hair on my neck stands up - I am so thankful she taught me to see that I am just like the next person in God's eyes - despite their appearance, or background.

***My mom taught me how to be a great mom! In so many ways. I had a lot to learn after marriage and mothering, but we all know that we learn as we go too.

Thank you mom for sacrificing so much to give me a life full of love and happiness. Showing me what is really important and keeping life so very fun.
You are a blessing.


5 Comments:

  • At May 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Angela said...

    What a nice way to honor your mom for Mother's Day! I think you're right that it almost takes being a mother yourself to fully realize the love and sacrifice of our own mothers. It sounds like you have a great one!

     
  • At May 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    You are blessed (and so am I!). I always feels so sorry for those who don't have a good momma.

    Sounds like your momma did all kinds of fun things for you. My momma did too. :) I get to go out wiht my momma today to go to lunch and antique malls - I'm so excited!!!

    I'm going to share about my momma too - probably tonight. :)

    By the way - why was your brother in the hospital every day?

    Love ya,
    Lynnette

     
  • At May 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

    What a beautiful post to honor your sweet mama! Just wanted to stop by and thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog. Your words blessed me. Thank you so much...

    Have a Blessed Mother's Day!

     
  • At May 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

    Happy Mother's Day to an amazing mom. God is well pleased with you.

     
  • At May 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM , Anonymous MOM said...

    I am in such awe of this, truly I am humbled by this account. I always thought I should have done more, and yelled less. The Lord was soooo good to me. I was blessed with three beautiful children. Thank you, my dear daughter, thank you, dear Savior.

    Love Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home