One September Day

Monday, April 13, 2009

Whats on the Menu?

My brother owns an Ice Cream Shop.

Our family loves going there.

He had new menu boards made this year,, and I love them.

I stopped by the other day - before the Grand Opening for the Season to see the boards.. to see what was on his menu for this year.


Sundaes, Shakes, Flurries, Smoothies, Cones, Pretzels,, etc... and as I stood there reading those boards, I thought about all of the choices that there were. A lot to choose from, for sure!

On my ride home, I began to think about my day and all of the different choices I face. I was surprised when I layed all of the choices out before me. In fact, a lot of what I choose for the day begins before I even set my feet on the floor.

Hmmmm... Whats on the Menu today?

~Making my new middle name Cranky or Sunshine??

~Socks or no socks? ( Wish the weather didn't always determine this one)

~Letting the kiddos stay in their jammies all day? Ha!

~Making the beds - or letting laziness rule?

~Going out or staying in?

~Potty training or setting the idea on a shelf for another day..( I CANNOT keep doing that)

~Making the beloved carrot juice or rolling out the spread - french toast, eggs, etc.

~Obsessing over the mountain of laundry ( 6 loads a day keeps us going) or saving it for 12 loads tomorrow...( BTW - this is not a good idea - I have tried it)

~Writing that thank-you note, or just hoping that the person will just know I was thankful.

~Jumping on the treadmill or writing a new epic in the Story of Procrastination

~Combing the tangles out of my little girls Shirley Temples ( one by one),.. or re-washing it for an easier comb - through (This is a toss-up - she hates baths!)

~Pushing my children on the swing-set, or hoping that they can learn to play without me. ( Been there - done that - not again)

~Homeschooling a full-day or letting the kids do their normal work-load ( I really get into their subjects and often we end up schooling toooo long.)

~Smiling through the mishaps - or using my "not- so -nice voice" - (ohhh,, if this choice wasn't so hard!)

~Make the home-made chicken soup or choose this night for spaghetti - the easy meal for 11 people. ( Besides - why would I choose to de-bone a chicken.. when I have a choice?)

~Assign all my children to a task so that I can sit leisurely by and watch the house fall into order..( Oh,, sorry.. this was something that I thought would BE A nice choice on the menu some day.. just dreaming...another post I guess.)

What's on the Menu in your day? My Menu, of course is different from yours.

Here's what I am thinking -
What I choose, sets the course of my day.
My attitudes. My examples.
And guess what...I sometimes - make the absolute wrong choices. And I know that I am.
Because it is easy.
BUT- I reap what I sow.

I want my choices to be purposed with excellence -for the Lord and my family.

Whats on the Menu today? -

*Brown socks,
*Sunshine is my middle name.
*My little Shirley Temple will get her locks combed through one-by one.
*The beds got made.
*No jammies past 9 here!
*Home-made chicken soup tonight!
*3 Loads of Laundry and Counting.
*No treadmill today- wise choice, believe me!
*Potty Training 101 in motion!
*Definitely chose to smile through the mishaps - sore throat prevents a not - so - nice voice -( lol- just kidding!)
*Thank you note in the mail!
*Lighter work-load for kids - just said "NO School today!"

**OH- and juicer broke - so that settled it - Homemade Strawberry Shortcake for breakfast! WITH Whipped Cream, of course!
( This is a new Menu Item!)

Wonder what I will choose off the MENU tomorrow?
Hmmmm...

3 Comments:

  • At April 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks September for a timely, but gentle reminder - I am going to make my menu hold more positive items :)
    I love your blog!
    Katrina

     
  • At April 13, 2009 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I wish I would have read this first thing this morning. I'm afraid I made some wrong choices today. I hate the guilt that presses me after being grumpy. It's like a hand pressing against my chest.

    Well, here I am ready to start fresh. My homeschool day WILL be better tomorrow! I'll make better choices then. I think I can...I think I can... I think I can...
    (Lord, help me).

    I got your hug in the mail today. Thanks - here's one back {{{{September}}}}

     
  • At October 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM , Blogger busymomof10 said...

    What a great post!!! I love that concept! What is on my menu today? what will I choose for myself and my children? Good thought . . .

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home