One September Day

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Wednesdays Walk


I am posting a great memory for my Wednesdays Walk. I am thankful that my friend Lynnette has created this forum for many to have the opportunity to share their memories. I have enjoyed reading others stories, and was really blessed by the group of woman that have joined her for this walk down Memory Lane.
If you would like to Join this weekly forum.. Wednesday's Walk-I would invite you to visit her special blog page.. posted above.

About two months ago, I hosted an extended Family Talent Night- we called it
Silly or Serious!
My two brothers, my sister, their spouses and all of our children all participated. Everyone came prepared and with a great Spirit of fun!

We have a Bi- level living room, and so to prepare the "stage" for this event, I made a little trip to the local thrift shop, and purchased one pink, and one blue sheet. I then took them to my sewing machine, and made a Handy-dandy Stage Curtain. We hung it across a wire on the top level of the living room, and we were able to slide it back and forth in between each "act."

Ohhhh myyy!! It was so much fun! Everyone brought something different. We made some great memories that day. If you want to get closer to those you love,, let your guard down, and let them see who you really are. This was a fantastic opportunity for all of the children to see the adults having a good, wholesome fun time as well.


Here are a few of the fun moments we shared:

I started the Show out with a CHEER!! Can you believe it? ( If you said yes, then you REALLY know me! Heehee.) It was just the right beginning to get them all in the mood of sharing.


The children shared some of these things:

Poem/George Washington , Karate Moves
Joke Telling / Flute/ Jump Rope/ Singing
2 Man- Arms making Ice Cream Sundae Skit/ A Special Dance/ and Piano

Other skits included: A Curling Tongue Demonstration ( It was something to watch!!)
Personally written Poem and reading

Our Family closed the show with a altered version of the song from "The Adams Family."
( Remember this old show? Kinda spooky, I know,, but we changed the words to fit our family, snapping our fingers,, and singing:


Na na na nah (snap, snap)
Na na na nah ( snap, snap)
Na na na nah
Na na na nah
Na na na nah

**Snap Snap**

They're funny and they're silly
Kind and even nerdy
They're all together purdy
The McCarthy Family


Their house is like a Zooo
With people me and you
There are always things to dooo
The McCarthy family



Their friends are kinda kooky
Their Uncles a little spooky
They're altogether ooky
The McCarthy fammmmiiilllly!

Na na na nah!!

It was REALLY fun!

This memory is special to me because Our Family Talent Show brought some Silly out of the Serious in us.. and the Serious in some of our more silly members!


You should try this fun idea - it is worth the memory!

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At March 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Patricia said...

    Sounds like a riot. You will have memories to last a lifetime. Thank you for sharing.

     
  • At March 25, 2009 at 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a precious memory! I can picture it well too - I have 10 children - and we live in a bi-level home as well! :) Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At March 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Raye Ann said...

    Sounds great. Most of our talent shows happen in the van on the long drive into town. Some of our best memories come from when our kids are just being our kids.

    Blessings Always

     
  • At March 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM , Blogger jamers said...

    I love this idea! I can just see my family doing this and oh my, the laughter. Thank you for sharing this wonderful memory making idea. Precious!

     
  • At March 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog today!

    This talent show idea sounds like so much fun!! My daughters and I had been toying around with the idea of something like that for her and her friends. That would be so much fun! I think I will have to plan one for this Summer.

    I have such fond memories of participating in talent shows when I was little and I guess they just don't do those anymore at school.

     
  • At March 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Linda said...

    Hi September,...(I smile when I see your name,..I just think it is cool. Were you born in September? Ok, I don't know why I am thinking about this now, but I always thought August would be a good name for a girl,...or a boy that was born in August,...and If a girl was born in the Autumn I always liked the name Amber Autumn. Ok, well, now on to the comment)

    The talent show idea sounds like so much fun. They did that in a movie called Dan in real life.

    It would be something my family of 20 could do when we are all together,...I think I will run it by them and see what they think.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

     
  • At March 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

    What a fun family memory...thank you for sharing...

     
  • At March 26, 2009 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Kimberly Pitman said...

    That's a great idea! Nothing like adults acting silly to get the kids bonding even closer with the adults. Fun isn't just for the children!

     
  • At March 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I LOVE your blog, and enjoy the music selections as well. It makes me want to blog, but I am just not a "writer" and have dismally neglected my own blog for the last 2 years - lol
    God Bless you!
    Katrina

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home