One September Day

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pick of the 'Crop!

Every Wednesday is a great opportunity to share some of your special memories.
Visit Lynnette's Blog,, you will love her and her story! I do!

Apple-licious!



Some of our favorite memories as a family are when we pick Apples.
We have a great time,, picking the apples, talking, and eating!
We pick an variety of apples -

Gala, McIntosh, Cortland, and Spys.

Mmmmmmmmmmm..

We use our apples for Applesauce, Pies, Apple Butter, Dehydrating, and every day eating!

Arriving at the Orchard , our van is full of excited, talkative, and energetic children.
Everyone has a partner to pair up with, and the apple picking begins.
We usually start with "drops."
These are apples that have fallen from the tree,, still in nice condition, and a bit cheaper in price.

The baby will sit in the wagon, playing with the apples,,,an posing for many pictures...

Soooo cute

Apple picking brings out the fun in all of us.

It also teaches our children some great qualities,, diligence, hard work = rewards.I love to listen to the special converations that our children have with one another, as they work together under the apple trees.

It is a special thing to see and hear your children talk about their favorite things, and to enjoy one another's company.


Last year, my oldest children got a little creative with their time... and we made it a "grand ole' photo shoot!"


So much for productivity!
When we arrive home, all of the kids help chop, core, and cook down the apples, until we have quarts and quarts of applesauce.
It smells sooo wonderful.

This memory has been in the making for 20 years. It is an annual tradition,, and a necessary supplement to our pantry!









Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At April 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Aspiemom said...

    This brought back a lot of memories for me, also! When we lived in PA we would drive to the orchard each year and pick apples. I have pictures of my son when he couldn't stand yet and I have pictures when he was much older.

    Then I'd take home about 100 lbs. of apples and make applesauce and all kinds of yummy things.

    It was fun going down your lane with you!

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Raye Ann said...

    What a fun beautiful day. Such memories. I have often wished we had an apple grove nearby. I thought a day of picking apples would be fun.

    Blessings

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    I love this! We have taken our girls to pick strawberries and they loved it. I can't wait for more fruit picking adventures!

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Meg said...

    I've never headed out to pick any fresh fruit but it sounds like so much fun. What great pictures of your family!

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Would you believe we've NEVER been apple picking!?! Well, we do have 4 very little apple trees that have just begun to produce, so maybe we'll be able to pick our own someday. :)

    I picture Anne of Green Gables when I think of things like this. I certainly envision it as a totally romantic escapade.

    I loved the pictures of your kids - especially Ben with the apple on his head! (He's so cute!)

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Linda said...

    September,
    This was a day well spent with your precious children.
    Thanks for sharing it with all of us.
    The pictures are great.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    That looks fun! My girls would love that, but there's nothing like that around here that I know of.

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Apple picking looks like great fun. Reminds me of blueberry picking when I was a child. Visiting from Lynette's blog. Enjoyed your blog.

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

    We enjoy apple picking here too. Great memories are made too. Enjoyed your post!

     
  • At April 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Patricia said...

    I don't want spring and summer to go by too quickly, but I do enjoy the fall and apple time. Loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At April 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    What a great memory & great idea! I remember when we lived in Germany we used to pick strawberries in the field nearby. What fun!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home