One September Day

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Here a chick, there a chick...

Everywhere a chick, chick..

Old McCarthy had a "farm,"
"Eeeee.. Iiii..... Eeee...Iiii... Ooooo!!!"

We do not love on a farm, we are not farmers. We do not even have a barn.
We have a home, a Maple Syrup Building, and a Chicken Coop.
But not a farm.


We do, however, have chickens..for our own eggs.
We feed them non-medicated, hormone free feed, and we have healthy brown eggs every day that we need them.


Some kids are inclined to caring for animals...

and some ... are not.

My daughter, Leah, loves our chickens.  She even sells the brown eggs when we have an abundance.
She is an outdoors girl also.
All winter, I can remember asking where Leah was during Math time as we homeschooled, and then I heard the hose running.
In the winter!  She was thawing out their water can, and re-filling their water with fresh water each morning.. with gloves, and hats, and snow boots.
She loves animals.


And now..
now we have another "batch," of baby chicks...


Aren't they just so cute!?



All of the children are taking turns with their care.  They are like a new baby, and need care through the day.





So, I guess I can try and convince myself that we are not living on a farm - but some days, it sure does feel like it!

10 Comments:

  • At March 23, 2010 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    I bet it does feel like it some days! what cute chicks!

     
  • At March 23, 2010 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Holly said...

    I bet that takes some work!!

    I'm not a big fan of chickens but I do like eggs! lol I remember my grandpa had chickens and I went into the chicken coop with him when I was younger and they pecked at his hand and that just freaked me out.

     
  • At March 23, 2010 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Verna said...

    Do you also butcher the older ones and have fresh chicken meat?

    I remember raising chickens for eggs and to be butchered for meat to help feed our large family.

    Feeding the chickens was my job when I was younger until the boys teased the rooster and he flogged me one evening.

    I all but killed that poor rooster with my broom stick that I was carrying to keep the geese away.

    Needless to say after that day the boys had to help feed the chickens.
    :)

     
  • At March 23, 2010 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Emmy said...

    September, you are living my dream. Having a nice house, a little bit of land, my own chickens. Someday... :)

     
  • At March 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM , Anonymous grandma said...

    Grandma says:

    If you have never met "our" Leah, she is so special. She absolutely LOVES animals, as September said. The other day, she went w/Grandpa and I to have some fun (after her flute lesson - we helped out September/Dan for that morning). She told us something so precious in the car:

    She said, "Grandma, before my kitty died, I used to listen to her heart." That made me realize that animals have placed a love inside Leah, rather like our Saviour. He listens to our hearts, as well. How many times do we listen to each other's hearts from day-to-day?

    Love Grandma

    Leah is special, to be sure. Aren't they all, though?

     
  • At March 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    You have a beautiful house!! I would love to have some animals, but not like a huge farm or anything. How awesome you use your own eggs!!!

     
  • At March 25, 2010 at 5:17 AM , Blogger busymomof10 said...

    We used to have a house in the country on a couple acres and we had chickens! My children were much younger then, but they loved playing with the baby chicks and herding them! I am NOT an animal person, but I loved having the fresh eggs. I miss them!

    You have a BEAUTIFUL house! It looks like it is perfect for your large family!

     
  • At March 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Kami said...

    Oh how adorable! Your house is beautiful, by the way :) I think it's great that you have chickens so you can have your own eggs! We've thought about it, but we just don't go through eggs quickly enough to do that!

    Love the pictures .. they really are cute! I love that your daughter enjoys helping out as much as she does! What a treat :)

    Missing you dear friend!

     
  • At March 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Linda said...

    Hi September...You have a beautiful home. I am so happy that you and your amazing family have the blessings of living on land and raising chickens and animals. Lynnette loves that sort of thing. No wonder you are kindred spirits! (:>)

    My computer is causing issues and so I haven't been able to read and comment as much. I miss you when that happens.

    Yes feel free to copy my poem from today's post for your fridge.

    Blessings...
    Love in Christ,
    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

     
  • At March 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM , Blogger maria said...

    you have such a beautiful home
    may the Lord continue to bless you.

    i remember back home my grandfather had a farm with chickens and others
    animals.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home