One September Day

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Healing Heart

Perhaps this may seem random to you this week,
Perhaps not.

Have you noticed others around you that seem sad, struggling, or even angry over something?
I do. Every day.
If you look, wherever you go, there are hurting people.
It is easy to miss if you are in a hurry all of the time, or even aren't in a habit to train your heart to see the hurt that others carry.

Perhaps when we go thru difficult times ourselves, in our past or even present, our hearts and minds are given the opportunity to be tuned into others similar experiences and heavy hearts.
I would hope so.
Otherwise, was our difficulty all about us?
It can be so much more - for so many more.

Looking through the window of another's heart can be so revealing into their actions and attitudes and can even help us with our reactions to them, our patience, and understanding.

The heart takes time to heal.
Do we give others the time that we ourselves would want or need to be open again to so many things.

Healing - from grief, anger, loss, transition, and much more can take time.

While carrying my firstborn daughter, and knowing that she was not going to live long past her birth brought a lot of changes to my life.
As I carried her, I became close to this little baby girl - full of life and she became a part of me.
I would sing to her, pray over her, talk to her, and rub my belly to feel her kick back.
As she was delivered into my arms, I looked down at her and knew she would not be with me for a very long time.
How does the heart prepare for a time like this - and how does it heal?
With the Lord and with time. It is a Promise He gives us.
But don't forget the time.

My beautiful baby girl became such an important part of who I am, at the moment she made me a first time mommy.
We were able to save a lock of her hair. We took her hand prints- to impress upon our minds of her pretty fingers, and we kissed and sang her way into the Arms of a Loving Saviour - one hour later.
Saying good bye was one of the hardest things to do. A part of me was being taken away.
Her place in our home would always be missed.
Healing began. And over time - He has done a good work.

Life seems different through the eyes of a trial. Not everything will be seen or experienced the same way.
If we could live life giving those around us a smile, and a patient response - we could show them Christs love in such a greater way.

I see hurting people wherever I go - and I am sure that you do as well.
For instance-
Was there a grumpy or stoic clerk at the store?
- Perhaps someone at Church was avoiding talking to you or someone else?
-Did a family member or a meeting with someone today bring a rude or even curt response to you?
- Maybe someone has dropped out of the social picture with excuses of complaints, or anger
-Know someone who uses attacking your character or others as a way to communicate

I am, in no way, condoning these actions, or character traits--please know that..
BUT- these are truly examples of how people hurt, and how we can be in tune with those around us.

Tune in.. and help someone break down that barrier this week.
Wouldn't it be great if it was you that someone shared a smile with, or gave you space to heal.
I know it would.
Because a Healing Heart is the best place to plant Christs loving example.

6 Comments:

  • At October 1, 2009 at 9:11 AM , Anonymous Sue S said...

    How true this is, September. You have expressed this so beautifully! It brought tears to my eyes as I read this. As I come across people, as I work in the library, I see so many of these hurting people. Even some that I work with that have become bitter over situations in their lives. I pray for opportunities to show them the Lord and what He has done in my life. September, you are such a beautiful example of how God has brought you through so many trials in your life. Thank you for sharing.

    Sue

     
  • At October 1, 2009 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Karen said...

    September,

    Thanks for sharing this post. I have experienced a Healing Heart many times. I know all too well about living life and not being able to see things clearly. Praise the Lord that he clears the fog so that we can see a little more clearly down the road. Experiencing the fog can also help us to be more in tune to others struggles. Lord, help me to help make a difference to the hurting people that I come in contact with.


    I read your story for the first time today. I am not sure why I hadn't before. What a touching story and what a testimony of God's Goodness!

    Blessings to you!
    Karen

     
  • At October 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Under His Wings said...

    September,
    Your post is a great reminder to be more sensitive to hurting people around me.
    It will be 10 years on December 30 since we lost our Gabrielle. Like you we knew ahead of time we were going to lose her. God's strength and time has helped heal the hurt, but even now I still have trouble dealing with all the memories and wishes that I could have had my little girl!
    God has blessed me with 3 other wonderful children, which I'm extremely grateful.
    Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

    Love,
    Kim

     
  • At October 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thank you so much for sharing your heart in this post! I agree, there are so many hurting people and Christians sometimes are awful towards the hurting. Thanks for the encouragement, challenge, and sweet words!

     
  • At October 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM , Blogger Kami said...

    September, I love your heart! Reading this post truly gave me the impression that your heart is one that is seeking the heart of our Savior. I understand the hurt, I've felt the pain, and I've felt overlooked through almost all of it. Thankfully, God held me and saw me through it all. I love that you reflect on the deeper meaning behind the way people can act. This post is a great reminder for lots of people!

    By the way, I just LOVE your playlist! I oftentimes will open your blog and turn the speakers up just to have these songs playing through my house (when I get tired of my CDs!)!

     
  • At October 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Holly said...

    Thanks for this post. It is a reminder that when we come across someone who may seem grumpy or angry that they are probably hurting. There is a reason that they are hurting and maybe they are just waiting for someone to reach out to them.

    I agree with Kate, sometimes us Christians can be the worst at treating people badly. We should all take a look at our actions and ask ourselves if we are honoring God in the way we treat others.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home