One September Day

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Speaking of....

Speaking of My Comfort Zone... ( Read my last post if this is confusing to you..)..

I stepped out of this in a bigger way today. I knew that I needed to. Knew it was the right thing to do.

I blogged the other day about my friend- the one that I have known for years, and then suddenly I find that she is dying of brain cancer. She was diagnosed two years ago, and the last that I had seen her was right before this diagnosis. I did not even know.

I drove past her house the other day with intentions of stopping to see her. It was very, very heavy on my heart.
There were many cars parked out front, and people milling on her porch. I thought it was time.
I didn't stop - thinking it wasn't right for me to "intrude."

Now, 5 days later, I ask what has happened? I haven't heard any thing from that day. They had told family and friends that she had 24-48 hours, and that is why all of the people were there.

Here we are, today, Wednesday, and my heart is so very heavy that I cannot ignore the promptings any longer.
Time to be obedient to what I know is right.
Will it be ok with the family?
Will she even know that I am there?

I call my sister-n-law, and she is so sweet. She goes with me. I am stepping big out of this comfort zone of mine.

As I get out of the van, another long-time friend comes out the door. She gives me a hug, and tells me how good it was that I came. She tells me to go in, and that my friend can hear all that we are saying, she is just unable to respond at this time.
What comfort to have her there -right at that moment.

I lightly tap on the door, and her husband summons us in. He is so loving of her. She is still so beautiful. Her soft red hair, and sweet spirit can still be seen in her.
I love my friend.
I was able to talk to her, and kiss her forehead. I told her that she is so loved.
But the miracle of the whole moment?....

My friend searched for Faith for many years... she would call me, visit Church with me, and ask me many questions.

Today, unabashed, and non-provoked, her new husband, ( not knowing me, or even that I am a believer,),, told me this out of the blue . Last year, my friend professed her faith to many and was baptized, wanting all to see the meaning of her faith.

I did not go there expecting him to share all of this with me. I never even asked him. The Lord has blessed my heart, knowing that she will be greeted by the Arms of a Loving Savior when it is time.

This honestly was not about MY comfort Zone.. Not at all. Was it?
The only discomfort I had was my fear of intrusion. I was not intruding he said.
Her husband told me that he was surprised that not many people have come by.
He was happy to have someone there. For him and her.
People are afraid to intrude.
Don't be.
This was a blessing to me.
And to him, as he said.

My prayer - that we will learn to leap when we feel like stepping out in faith.
My friend did.. and she will be forever blessed.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At July 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM , Blogger Aspiemom said...

    My dad used to give radiation treatments to cancer patients. He was wonderful at it, remembered every detail about his patients and visited with them when friends would be avoiding them because they didn't know what to say or how to handle the cancer. They just loved my dad for how he treated them like "anyone."

    I'm sure your visit meant a lot to them and it's wonderful that you know you'll see her in Heaven one day. Wonderful to know she will be going there.

     
  • At July 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Holly said...

    I think that is so great you visited your friend and I'm sure it meant so much to her!!!

     
  • At July 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

    I am so glad you went, September. My mom died from cancer and her last days were so difficult. People came in and out to visit her in the hospice center...and shared precious memories with her even in that difficult time.

    Praying God's continued comfort for this family...and for you...

    Thank you for sharing this message to others who are afraid they might intrude.

    Love to you,
    kelly

     
  • At July 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

    ...And what a gift God gave you, assuring you of your friend's salvation. Thank you Jesus...great is His faithfulness.

     
  • At July 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM , Blogger Drahdrah said...

    It's so good you pushed yourself to see her, otherwise it would have continued to weigh heavily on you. Maybe you were out of your comfort, but you were a comfort to your friend and her husband.

     
  • At July 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Ange said...

    Such a wonderful example of following the inner voice of Love...and finding the courage to not withhold that Love which dwells within you. Wow...this is powerful. Thank you for sharing mighty woman of God.

     
  • At July 2, 2009 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    So awesome! I am so glad that you went!!

     
  • At July 2, 2009 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Verna said...

    September this brought tears to my eyes, how many times do we kinda ignor our feelings that we need to do something. When indeed it is God's will that we do it.
    Thank you for reminding us to step out of our comfort zone and step out in faith, We serve an awesome God!
    God bless you.

     
  • At July 3, 2009 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Linda said...

    September, this is so good. I am glad you went. God blessed you, and your friend, and her husband,...and all of us by your story!

    God is so amazing.

    Prayers for you, and the others who will miss this dear lady. So thrilling to know that she will be in heaven. (:>

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home