One September Day

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Are you a couscous fan?

Today is couscous day .. here in homeschool land, where you choose what and when you want to eat.. not comforming to a schedule set by someone else, nor a menu planned months ahead.

We are couscous fans!  Are you?

Do you know what couscous is?
Believe it or not.. It is a grain.  A handy , little, NUTRITIOUS grain that you make in 5 minutes!!!!

Here is our lovely, delcious lunch of Parmesan, and Broccoli & Cheese Couscous.





WHY am I sharing a picture of our lunch with you...

Because we are such BIG fans of couscous,,, I wanted to share a recipe with you.

There are a few ways of preparing couscous.  It is as easy as boiling water!  TRUST me!

Look in your grocery store- perhaps the Natural food section, or bulk foods for BULK Couscous.

Bring 1 c. couscous and 1 1/2 cup water to a boil.
Reduce heat immediately and cook for one minute or until water is absorbed.
Cover and remove from heat.  Let it stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff with fork.
Add seasonings to taste.  ( You can do this while boiling for the minute.)
( examples- substitute half of the water for organic chicken broth, or use bouillon with 1 c. water.)
I LOVe to mix in cooked chiken pieces or frozen peas for the kids.

 We LOVE COUSCOUS!
(Did I tell you that yet?)

BUT.. WAIT!
For those that didn't make it to Health food, or bulk food section...
Pick up some of  these off of the shelf -


WHALA!
Easy- and delicious!


Try some couscous this week, and tell me if you are a fan!!  I bet you will be!




Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At April 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM , Blogger busymomof10 said...

    I love couscous and have a couple children who do, BUT, my hubby and some of the children HATE it -- so I don't make it very often. I really love it with baked fish -- like lemon pepper tilapia and coucous with butter and parmesan and some steamed broccoli with lemon pepper seasoning! YUM@! :)

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Karin said...

    I love couscous!!!! I have a great Confetti Couscous recipe with corn, craisins, and cinnamon. I haven't made it in forever. Thanks for the reminder. Yummy!!!

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We use this a lot and our family loves it. I tend to throw in any veggie or meat leftovers we have in the fridge and saute them all together with a little olive oil and garlic.

    Readers should be aware that this is wheat so those who have a wheat/gluten allergy need to know that.

    Here is a link to read about how it is made:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous

    And there is regular as well as whole wheat couscous.

    Enjoy!

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I have never had that before, but now I am intrigued! I am going to look for that next time I am at the grocery store. Yumm! Thanks!

     
  • At April 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM , Anonymous Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

    Hmmmm..not sure if I am or not! Guess I'll have to try it b/c my first thought is "NO", but I would never let my kids get by w/ that sort of attitude, so...guess I'll get me some and try it!
    LOL
    Have a beautiful weekend!

     
  • At April 17, 2010 at 2:45 AM , Blogger Sherrie said...

    I've heard of it but never tried it. Where do you even find it? I've had several friends mention it, so I guess i need to give it a try. The broccoli & cheese parmesan sounds deliscious!

     
  • At May 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Would you believe I've never eaten couscous? I've seen it. I've contemplated buying it. i've been interested in it. But, I've never actually bought any.

    Okay, I will and I'll let you know how I like it. Have you ever eaten polenta? That's another food I've always wondered about but haven't ever tried.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home