One September Day

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This little Piggy stayed home!

It is Wednesday - Wahoo! 
( Can you tell I am counting the days to Baby Blessings Delivery?!)

Today, I am linking up with a sweet blogging friend,  Jenilee..for a Walk Down Memory Lane.
 She hosts this Great Blog Hop every Wednesday...
Just click on the button above to visit her!
 
The other night, while my husband, our teens and I, were "vegging out," in the living room, this memory came up, and I was laughing so hard.. well...  I was laughing tears.
 
Soooo..I just wanted to share this funny memory here: 
When our three oldest, were about 11, 12, and 13, we had this crazy notion to get PIGS!
We, of course, still had all of the younger children in age succession below them, and so we had a fun life!
 
This was our "first go-around" with pigs....
Ummmm...
Yep..
So....
They were relentless in getting out of their pen.
This was the kids first experience with PIGS and so,, well.. it was more fun than any thing.
UNTIL....
 I vividly remembering waking up one morning to look out our kitchen sink window, washing dishes from breakfast...
and seeing..
PIGS in my backyard.
Their pen was a fenced off area FAR away from the house,,,
and, so,,
 to see PIGS in my backyard brought a gasp of breath from me, and our children came running to look out the back porch.
 
This in itself, brought squeals of alarm, excitement, and laughter from all of them.
My mommy brain was trying to figure out how I was going to get those PIGS back into their pen, with little hands to help.
 
Envision This:
I tell the kids:
"Get some rope.. Loooonnngg Rope.
Get some PIG feed,
and some blankets."
 
Mind you,, these PIGS were not pigLETS any more...but.. well..
you know... larger.
 
So, we all get our Duds on for this Big PIG adventure.. and out we go with our supply list.
Our backyard is a grassy, downhill slope into the woods.
The PIGS are contentedly munching away on my nice green grass..
so...
 
I send our oldest at the time ( 13) down to scatter some PIG feed at the bottom of the hill,, near the PIGS.
THEN..
I tie one end of the rope to my waist... the kids waists.. One at a time...
and have my daughter ( then 11) ..
Proceed to the bottom of the hill.
quite stealthily, and sneaky she was...
and Lasso the rope to the PIGS foot.
Uhhh...
NOPE.
Skittish things they are!
Again she sneaks up on them..
I tell her to lasso their necks...
 
slo..wl..y...
 
NOPE...
BAD PIGS!
Just stand still and eat MY grass!
Last chance...
 
She crawls on her belly,, quietly.. up behind the PIGS...
and manages to get the rope under its Hoof.!!
Success!
 
Well.. that's until..
I yell...
"HEAVE Ho!"
from the top of the hill,
and I ,,, and all of the younger children ..
who have the rope tied around our waists..
PULL..
As hard as we can..
 
until we all fall to the ground...
on our bottoms...
with the ROPE around our waist,,,
and the PIG slowly PULLING
US... down the grassy hill.
 
I yell.
"Hold tight Kids!"
I look at their faces..
Sheer Determination ..
Beads of sweat...
Pink circles in the middle of their cheeks...
and eyes on the PIGS!
 
Do they realize we are losing this battle?
NOPE.
Do they realize that we are getting closer to the PIGS?
NOPE.
But, this is soo much fun!
 
By now...
I am laughing so hard.. and the kids are looking at me in disbelief..
Or are they looking at me?
 
NOPE..
They are looking at the PIG!
The PIG..
that is running into the woods with the ROPE attached to its hoof, and dragging us behind.
 
"CUT THE ROPE," I yell.
By now. one child is laying face down. I am grabbing the ROPE with all my might, and the
PIG is farther into the woods,, dragging now its hoof in a funny - bent position.
And we are finally free of the ROPE.
 
The Blanket never did get its use...
it wouldn't have worked any ways.
For days.. we would see the LONE PIG running through our woods, with a LONG ROPE dragging behind it.
The other PIG following right behind.
 
The rest of us...
Laid in the sunshine..
on that grassy hill..
laughing..
for a long, long time.
And are still laughing to this day!
 
That little PIG went wee.. wee.. weee.. weee. 
All the way home!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At March 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    So I am wishing that someone was there with a camera snapping pictures of the pig fun! sounds hilarious! :) you did a great job telling the story!

     
  • At March 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    You are one gifted story teller. Thank you for sharing the pig adventure. Wee, wee, wee . . . that was fun! I can just picture it all in my head so vividly. Since you shared about your piggy adventures with your children, let me take this opportunity to tell you how lovely they are and how beautifully you've named them. I look forward to hearing more memories. Blessings to you and your little on board passenger too!

     
  • At March 2, 2011 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh my....I have tears! I am so glad that I am not the only Momma who comes up with crazy ideas :)

    Such a fun memory - although I woud love to see photos from that day!!

     
  • At March 3, 2011 at 12:50 AM , Blogger Caroline said...

    What a great story and you did great telling it !! Awesome memory !!

     
  • At March 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Janet Rose said...

    The plans we have that go awry! So funny. Thanks for sharing with us...I'm still laughing. :)

     
  • At March 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Linda said...

    September, I read this story for the first time this morning and I am cracking up at the vivid pictures you've painted in my head! Thanks for the chuckles!!!

    Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home