One September Day

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Short and Sweet

I am short on patience, and not so sweet - lately.
The migraines that I have had for six weeks are surely giving me a test in this area.. but not as much as an intruder that has "sweet talked," it's way into our home in the last few weeks.

It's all the rave, the new "buzz!"
 Haven't you heard?.... or maybe I am the only  mom out there that is finding this to be a problem at this time of year.


An otherwise foreign object, and now a menace in the McCarthy Society - Sugar.


At first, I was blaming my headaches for my view of my children's behavior the last few weeks - until it hit me tonight- as I lay in bed, for the first day in six weeks - without a constant headache- that this disturbing behavior my little "angels," have been displaying is because their bodies have been invaded - by something not so "sweet," - SUGAR!!
We are not a sweet family-
WAIT- I mean,, we are not INTO sweets! Sugar, that is,, we are the ala' naturale type of people.. you know what I mean?




The NOT SO SHORT AND NO SO SWEET:
Here were my first clues:
 **Sudden outbursts of extremely loud noises- only lasting about 2 seconds,, just LOUD and SUDDEN - coming from my 5 year old- in the back seat of the van.  Crazy!!



**Finding empty M and M bags in the pantry that were bought for the sole purpose of a Christmas Snack Mix- GONE! 



**Continuous running of laps ( toddlers and dogs together),, around the kitchen/dining room circle in the house... CONTINUOUS!!


**Complete melt-downs at home, and in public when my toddler was told "no!"   Never have allowed this,, never had to deal with this.   No has always been "no," - done. Now it is .. "no," ....followed by an extremely dramatic rendition of something I cannot even describe!


**"Mommy, we had cookies for breakfast before you got up!"  


**Any noisy toy to be found in the house has been on instant replay in the hand of my toddlers all day for the last week.


**Every thing I say to Sam this week- he repeats,, laughing,, as if it is now extremely funny to copy me,, even when he is being disciplined .???     What's up with that Sugar Man?  

**I bribed my children with french fries, or a piece of candy FIVE times this week while we were out! Uhhhh... last I knew,, We do not use bribery for good behavior! Desperation -


**"Go to your room!" - Hmmmmm.. tallied times said the last few weeks - 1,000?... Probably.
NO exaggeration!


So, what was my FIRST clue? The clue that told me something other than headaches are reigning here in this home lately?


-My children are craving sweets now,, in a way that I have never seen.
The Crazy behavior patterns are enough, but now they not only are craving sweets..


"Mommy, Can we have a Candy Cane,"
"Hmmmm,,, Nope,, I think that you just brushed your teeth for bed?"
...."Ohh,, ok,,, In an hour, then?"


PROBLEM!!
Well...


Tis' the Season to be Jolly - and so, I have placed a ban on Sugar for my children until Christmas Day.
Mean mommy? Nope.
Sane Mommy - Soon!
Short and Sweet!

7 Comments:

  • At December 17, 2009 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Aspiemom said...

    Artificial food coloring would do that to my son, but now that he's so much bigger (5'10"!!) he can handle it better - in small amounts!

    But when he has a lot of junk food (and sweets) I notice a change in his behavior that's not very Christian so I'm having to really watch that with all of the Christmas treats floating around.


    When I have much sugar, especially anything with corn syrup, I tend to get migraines. They are HORRIBLE, aren't they? And it's so hard to stay civil with my speech when I feel like that. I'm trying to work on that.

     
  • At December 17, 2009 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Kami said...

    My children have that reaction to sweets as well, which makes the Christmas season kind of difficult, as we all love to bake cookies - but we have an "every other day" rule for eating them (and they only get two [very small] cookies when they do get to have them)!

    I'll definitely be praying for you regarding your migraines. I, too, get migraine headaches and it is NO party at all. It's completely miserable. Praying that these headaches will leave you immediately!

    Love you, sweet friend! :)

     
  • At December 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Heather said...

    Wow, I have heard how sugar affects children. I will definitely keep that in mind as my one year old gets bigger.
    I hope your migraines get better! My mom suffers with them once a month. She gets a three day migraine every month....needless to say they are hormonal headaches. :(
    ~Heather

     
  • At December 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Angela said...

    You know, I never bought into the whole thing about sugar being to blame for a child's behavior; but now that we've cut it out... mostly... I do see the affect it has on them. Even the MENTION of a sugary treat can send them into a crazed state. It makes me hate the stuff. :-) Maybe I'll have to follow your lead and fully ban sugar until Christmas....

     
  • At December 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    I notice it the most in Annalise. She gets very gittery and has a hard time focusing on anything. I am trying hard to keep the sweets at bay but we walked out of church on Wednesday night overloaded with sweets as gifts from Church friends. hmm... I think some of it may find it's way in the trash because I just don't want it in the house. not fun. :(

     
  • At December 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Holly said...

    I never realized that sweets could affect behavior like that. Very interesting. I think it would be a great idea for me to try to cut it out more.

     
  • At December 22, 2009 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    this is the perfect post to ask my question! :) how did you know about the dye allergies? how do you handle it on a daily basis? I'd love any info you have! thanks!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home