One September Day

Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Other Woman

After I wrote that title- I thought,, that probably doesn't sound too good. It's not what you think..
Don't get too uptight. (grin)...

Today's post IS about the Other Woman... the One that I see when I am out and about, that I am not. And probably will never have time to be.

This is me:

Waking up to a little one's face in my eyes next to my bed,, asking me for breakfast. Jumping into a cool shower, because my teens used all of the hot water, and heading downstairs to get some pancakes going for all of the hungry mouths waiting to be fed.

Changing diapers, pull-ups, combing curls, and cleaning faces,, almost ready to jump into a morning full of homeschooling, corralling toddlers, and following a crawler.. we are almost to 8:30 a.m.
School accomplished - kinda -
Heading to the gym...


This is me:
Gym time allowed for my day- one hour. Taking baby and girls into nursery area//
Throw on whatever clean "gym apparel," I can muster to find, and head to the stair climber to exercise ( literally work my butt off.- hope I didn't offend any one here... just the truth of it) :)
Sweat bullets, and run back to locker room to throw a sweatshirt over my sweaty clothes.
Load babies into van, and off we go to pick up older kids at bus stop.

This is me:
Homework help, making dinner, preparing lessons for Church, answering toddler questions, laundry, baths, and of course trying to find a genuine smile for my husband when he gets home.
Teens talking with us till late hours, cleaning up house before bed.
(And this was an abbreviated version )

The Other Woman? Where does she fit into all of this?
This is when it hit me. I was shopping at Sam's Club today, loading the cart for our big family, and I was observing all of the different people around me.


The Other Woman:
Click, click, click... I could hear her heels coming up behind me. In fact, I didn't even have to turn around and see her, because I could now smell her very pretty perfume right behind me.

She passes with her fashion bag on her shoulder, and her slacks from the dry-cleaner presses neatly down the seams.

I am guessing that she had just returned from getting a french manicure, and her make-up was flawless.
I am guessing that she looks like this every day. It is amazing. To me at least. Even the nails would be a nice option once in a while.
In her cart, this is what she has...Go Lean Bars. Dove Hand Soap Pump, Kleenex Tissue with Aloe, and Salmon Fillets, and Dasani Water bottles.

( My cart - 2 Huge Super-Size packs of Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, 10 #'s Mozzarella Cheese, 3 #'s Chocolate Chips, 10 #'s butter, and more.)

She actually looked like she was enjoying this trip to Sam's, and leisurely strolled through the aisles, comparing prices, and checking nutritional labels, etc.)

I passed by her twice, and she thankfully she wasn't distracted by my toddler's singing Jesus Loves Me in her sweet (loud) voice. Her smile was genuine, and she didn't have any stress - lines around her mouth, or spit - up on her sleeve.


This is the Other Woman:
Different life. Different clothes, different agenda, thoughts, meals, and shopping habits.
Not wrong or right. Just different.

I will never be this other woman.
This is me:
A mom thankful to have time for a hot shower, a minute to open my eyes and think before the race begins.
A mom working hard to balance life- meals, exercise, health, and love.
A wife striving to put her husband first, and make a happy home.
A woman who would be incredibly awkward, uncomfortable, and silly in heels.
A woman who might like to try the nail thing once, but knows that changing diapers would just not be good for acrylics.
A woman who loves style, design, and always is drawn to the most expensive clothing, yet still throws on sweats, t-shirts, and simple running shorts for the gym.


This is me:
Content. Happy. Thankful. I could never be the "Other Woman."
I might enjoy watching this, but I was not cut-out of that cookie cutter mold.
If you ever see me out and about without any children, heels, and a cup-of Starbucks in my hand...turn me back around, and show me the "way home."

12 Comments:

  • At October 17, 2009 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks for this post, I really needed it! I sometimes strive to be the other woman and when it doesn't work out, I realize I am being way too silly and not acting like the person God created me to be. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

     
  • At October 17, 2009 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    I love this post. Isn't that true? I sometimes look at those women and wonder what it's like to just think about me for one day... but the thought doesn't last long because God then brings to mind all of the things He is doing in my character through the life of being a mom. I am becoming who He wants me to be through the joys, triumphs, struggles of everyday mommy life. I sit here still in my sweaty workout clothes, some kid show playing on the tv, laundry to switch over into the dryer, a ton of kids clothes to fold and dinner to make... :) and loving it all

     
  • At October 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Sweet Millie said...

    Maybe you don't realize this but the simple fact that your face glows with or without make-up, your smile lights up a room and the amazing way you are always in motion but never look tired makes you much more beautiful than any chic hand bag, manicure, or fancy shoes! I'm so glad you are not the other woman, although the very though of you in heels makes me giggle just a little...Can you chase chickens off your porch in Prada pumps?
    xxxooo
    e

     
  • At October 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Sweet Millie said...

    Don't you hate when your publish finger goes quicker than your proof reading ability. "The very thought" ("t" being important) of you was what I was trying to say. :) e

     
  • At October 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Karen said...

    September,

    Boy, can I relate to this post! Sometimes when I think I might want to be that other woman, God reminds how Blessed I am. I love what I do (mostly) and wouldn't trade shoes with her for anything in the world. It probably would look pretty funny! High heels and me do not get along very well! Thanks for this post!

    Blessings,
    Karen

     
  • At October 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Angela said...

    September,

    This post almost made me cry! Not sure why (lol)! Maybe it's because I can so relate to it. I've been the Other Woman (for the short pre-children period of my life!), and now I don't think I could ever be her again. But I am content with my life and so blessed to be a stay-at-home mommy to four beautiful children and the wife of a loving, hard-working husband. All your "this is me" stuff... it's ME, too! :-)

    Love ya,
    Angela

     
  • At October 17, 2009 at 11:32 PM , Blogger April said...

    Man, why is it that someone else can always convey my very thoughts, better than I can?

    September, I will be honest! - I WAS that girl less than two years ago. Before I had my son, I was a hair stylist (you can only imagine). I loved what I did because it made people FEEL GOOD about themselves, and that - in turn made me feel good.

    But the other side of the job was 100% materialistic. I dove head first into that when I was 18 and first got my license to practice. But that vanity veil quickly lost it's charm. However I will say, When I got pregnant, I liked having a reason (my job) to dress nicely, because I would have totally done the sweats thing every day otherwise)... which is how I dress NOW - being a stay at mom :)

    I will be 100% honest with you, since I USED to BE that girl! She LOOKS like she has it all together, she even PAYS for fake unfunctionable nails to fool you. But September, SHE IS A MESS! She is a complete and utter mess who wishes she didn't have to present herself in a such a way, that would lead you to believe otherwise :)

    Or at least that was me :)

    PS - facebook friend

     
  • At October 18, 2009 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Holly said...

    Sometimes I like being the other woman in some ways. I don't get to be her very often but I like to get dressed nice and do my hair and makeup. It's usually only when we're going someplace and that doesn't happen very often. Most days you'll just find me in scrubs.

     
  • At October 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Kari said...

    That settles it! This post just made it's way to my next 'normal' blog post. I have my Water Cooler Monday post and the Blog Party post and then in the next one I'm sending people your way to read this. Awesome!!!!

     
  • At October 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a great post! I think I've had a little of the other woman envy too, when I was a SAHM with 4 children under 6, but with them all being older now, and I'm back to work, although only part time, I guess I am almost the other woman myself! However, no one else can see my overflowing laundry basket and tower of ironing waiting to be done, not to mention all the other housework! Thanks for stopping by my blog.:)

     
  • At October 20, 2009 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Joyeful said...

    Oh boy, is this ever true!! The thing is, though, I'm sure part of that "other woman" wishes she was you! : )

     
  • At October 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Never posted a comment before. I definitely agree that although the other woman might look like she has it all together on the outside, that is not indicative of what is going on in her heart.

    We must remember that EVERYONE is fighting a battle. Being a mom is the hardest job out there!! I know several Moms that enjoy dressing up everyday and enjoy looking put together. I know Moms who also enjoy dressing in the "relaxed" look.

    My mom worked outside the home my entire time growing up and always had her nails and hair fixed and was always in heels and she was an AMAZING Mom.

    I definitely don't think you were judging her, I just think its important for everyone to remember that everyone is fighting a battle and everyone has different ways of coping with life's battles. To each her own, if someone enjoys wearing heels and getting their nails done (as I do) and still has time to glorify God and have their priorities in perspective in terms of their family, I think thats admirable.

    M

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home