One September Day

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Whining.. Do you hear it?

I don't know about you...

But...

Whining drives me crazy.

Crazy.

Do you tend to hear whining in your children daily?
It comes in all sounds and noises...

Like:
"I want a snack..."
"Do I have to..."
"Mommy, mommy, mommy..."
"I don't want to take a nap.."
"She is touching my armmmmm...."
"Her foot is near my car seat,...."

" Can we have one of those?"
"My food is too hot.."
" I'm bored..."
"It's too hot out here!"
"I wanted to wear my other flip-flops..."

and so on...

Squeaky, scratchy, high-pitched voices 
trying to convey their irritation, their desires, their complaints, or their only form ever learned of communication.

Tip 1:
What you don't encourage or allow from the beginning won't become a habit.
Tip 2:
If you answer a whiner,,, then they will always expect a response.
Tip 3:
Explain that whining is not allowed ,.,, in any shape or form,, even if it is to convey a positive request... and 
Tip 4:
TRAIN how to NOT whine.  The correct and expected form of communicating... that way there is no confusion of what you are expecting.
Tip 5:
Train and Re-train - Training is not a One-Time Deal.


Whining is a selfish way for any of us to communicate,
It is elevating our noise, our desires above another persons.

Whining doesn't have to ruin your day or any one else's for that matter.

Our children will only act out what we expect and train them to be.

Much happy noise is better than a little whining!


Even our children are happier with guidelines,,, and happy communication.  I am sure that even though it may seem like they ENJOY whining.. that they really, truly don't!


Much better!

What are YOU working on in your home right now?
Whining also?



Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At August 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Well now, my kids don't ever whine.

     
  • At August 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What?

     
  • At August 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

    I hear ya. I try and stop whinning at home and and work. Great advice. Retrain, train and keep fine tuning the train.

     
  • At August 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Angela said...

    I have an 8, 7, 4, 3 and 1 year old...I feel like I have "cycles" with training. It's so challenging to constantly deal with each whine (especially from my 3 year old) that sometimes I find myself blocking it out.

    School time is the hardest right now.

     
  • At August 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Jenilee said...

    love your post. whining isn't allowed here either. and it does take lots of training and communication skills lessons! :)

     
  • At August 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Betty said...

    Oh, yes, I have a whiner. We are ALWAYS working on it, it seems. However, with him spending time both with us and away with his dad, it is really hard to teach good habits when he is only working on a few days a week and not constantly. We've learned to pick our battles. We are trying to break him...also we are working on manners and how to treat other people with respect.

     
  • At August 11, 2011 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Amy Maze said...

    Hi. I found your blog tonight from another blog...that I had found through another blog =) Your post was of great encouragement to me. I was just thinking today how whining is probably the thing I hate most (in regards to my kids behavior). We try to train and train, and not accept any whining, but it still persists. Thank you for the reminder to just keep training! We are working on that (with the 1 and 3 yr old), and also on preferring others (this one is with the 3 yr old).

    I have enjoyed the little I have looked at your blog tonight.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home